Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fire to the Rain card

Today I wanted to try creating something that was a bit outside my element. I love the distressed grungy look, but I have always had a hard time with it because I tend to lean towards clean lines and a sense of balance in my projects. Today I threw all my standards out the window and decided to try some new things. This card is inspired by the song "set fire to the rain" by Adele. It is quite the catchy song! I wanted to portray some of the key themes of this song in my card. Heartbreak, intensity tempered by solitude, the mixture of hot and cold, happy and sad. Even the passage of time. I used different symbols of love and a  combination of color schemes to try to create an opposing feel to my card. I really could not think of a way to illustrate the rain, so instead I used the color blue in my scheme. I really love the way this turned out!
 I used my silhoutte design studio to plan this card and size everything to fit. The digi is "star" she comes from Kenny K stamps. I colored her with my prismas and added some sparkle to her boots and fur with glitter. The background flames are a free clip art image that I googled and downloaded. I also colored these with my prismas. The flame in front of my main image is a die cut I downloaded from silhoutte online and cut out with my cameo. I popped it off with dimensionals to make her look like she was surrounded by fire. The sentiment was printed through my silhoutte studio and cut out using a banner cut file. I made the charm by cutting out a heart and cutting a zig zag through the middle. I also added crackle accents to it. I backed this with coordinating paper from my card and put it on the charm piece. I attached some beads on a string and a brad to the top. I really love the way this charm turned out!! The blue time peace is a Tim Holtz stamp that I stamped to blue card stock and placed in my EC Shape studio. This little device is so cool! Made my own epoxy embellishment. The flowers are mini primas and all other embellishments were found in my stash. The paper used was from stampin up and  DCWV: The Street Lace Stack. I inked all paper with Black Soot distress ink. Before I go I want to share the most fun part of making this card. BURNING IT!! lol! I took a lighter and burned the edges around the card, singed the roses and the ribbon. I was so afraid to do it but I'm glad I did. I think it carried the theme of the card very nicely. Hope you enjoy, thanks for stopping by.

I plan to enter this card into the following challenges:
Sketch Saturday: Week # 191
Crafty Ann's Challenge Blog: # 57 Whats new pussycat, My EC Shape Studio and "Star" digi stamp
Crafty Cardmakers: Challenge 60 Beads, on the charm
Card Makin Mamas: Something Old, My stash of Christmas beads and brads
Simon Says Stamp and Show: A song title, Adele's Set Fire to the Rain
Tuesday Throwdown: # 82 so charming
Crafty Ribbons Challenge: #11 love is red and black




19 comments:

  1. Well you were very successful! This is quite beautiful with the pretty colors and lovely details!! Thanks for sharing with us at TT this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful - and a brilliant interpretation of the song. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Ann's
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card and your interpretation of the song. Wonderful job of coloring "star". Love your design of the card and the colors you chose to use and the reasoning behind them. Your broken heart is very effective. Thanks so much for sharing your card with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. simply stunning. I love Kenny K and I love it what you did with the image
      Many thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week.
      Hugs
      Doreen xx

      Delete
  4. so beautiful chary :) OMG its cute <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you've done with this card. Great blend of background and focus image! It may be something new for you, but I think you absolutely nailed it. So glad you joined us at Tuesday Throwdown this week. Good luck in the draw.
    NanaConnie TT DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card. I love all the elements. Thanks for joining my challenge at Crafty Cardmakers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous card with a fabulous image. Thanks for joining in with our Love is Red and Black challenge at Crafty Ribbons challenge this time.
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, such a cool card!
    Thanks for joining in the fun with us this week over at Sketch Saturday :o)
    Hugs,
    Cazza
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is gorgeous!! I love all the design elements!! So awesome :)

    Lisa
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a striking card! Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that song...and what a great tribute to such a wonderful song!

    thanks bunches for playing along with this weeks challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, love that image and your embellies are lovely
    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ann's and good luck
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing card love the song too great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very different take on a card but I really like it, the singed edges distress everything beautifully. I love the flames and they way you have made them surround the digi. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and we hope to you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely take on the song, really good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while :) Thanks for playing along with our "SOMETHING OLD" challenge at Card Makin' Mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi; Thanks for taking part in our challenge at Crafty Ribbons, come back Thursday to see the result and the new challenge

    La Vikinga

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect card and thanks for sharing. Thanks for taking part in Crafty Ann's Challenge this fortnight and best of luck. We hope to see you back again very soon. Best wishes, Kym, Crafty Ann's Design Team xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning ! I love everything about this card !


    Thanks for joining us over at crafty cardmakers )


    Aj.

    ReplyDelete